Sunday, May 4, 2014

Kleber's Hill - Day 8

One of the highlights of my cycling CV was descending Weldborough Pass in Tasmania on the '83 CTA Tour. A long, winding descent through a dense, green, fern-lined forest. That put me on an absolute high. I sailed past the group and sat quietly in the forest to collect my thoughts.

Not far behind Welborough Pass is Kleber's iconic S bend between Pemberton and Nannup. I first rode this hill on the inaugral CTA South-West Tour in 1975. However, it wasn't until 1988 when I shot a CTA peloton on the Bicentennial Tour that I appreciated the visual impact of this tuart forest curve.

Vicki White leads her husband John down Kleber's Hill 

26 years later on the same bend in the road photographing 43 CTA cyclists gliding effortlessly around the S band like a group of brightly coloured parrots. Few sights make a cyclist's heart zing more than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment